Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 17, 2013

FIRST FIRING OF 2013

Happy New Year!! I'm firing my first (and probably my last) load of low-fire (04-05) clay as I type. I put into the load the first pieces I ever made using Terra Sig. The ts is on a cone 6 clay so I don't know what is going to happen, not knowing anything about what the heck I'm doing. If anyone out there has any advice (although I guess it's too late now, unless you can tell me what to expect over time from a cone 6 clay with terra sig on it) I'm open! Here is my 15 inch tall vase: I tried to make it look a bit like marble when I glazed it.
This next vase is one on which I experimented with hot wax resist. I have parafin in an old electric frypan and heated it to a liquid, then painted on the runes and lines before glazing. It's pretty primitive but I kind of like that. I don't think I'd be able to get very precise lines with hot wax.
These are the dinner plates I made in an effort to fill out a set to go with my favorite coffee mugs. The disadvantage in these plates is that the flat raw brown clay feels rough and not too aesthetically pleasing. But when I glaze the brown clay it loses the contrast from the green glazed area. I'm thinking only the mugs are good for this technique.
Well, back to the potting wheel. ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment