Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 15, 2015

PIE PLATES AND TEA BOWLS

 My latest endeavors have me making pie plates.  The first ones were used as a blank "sheet of paper" on which to draw with the Amaco Underglaze pencil.  Now while the weather is too cold for sitting outside to draw, I've turned to my favorite pastime: mandalas.  Some people don't enjoy the geometry and symmetry and tight control in designs like this, but I enjoy the process of seeing a design unfold through mere repetition of an element.  I enjoy looking at and "listening" for what to add next.  It is always fascinating to see what pops out with the addition of a new color in a shape that had previously been obscure. 

 



 





































My pie plates are inconsistent in size, the last one above even ended up a serving platter because I didn't use enough clay to pull up the sides high enough.   Four pounds is going to be my standard from now on.  Four pounds seems like a lot of clay to devote to one project but I'll have to just buy more clay so I feel like I can spare it!  (:  Below you'll see a plate on which I drew weeds using the Amaco Underglaze pencil, a drawing of an Iris from last spring, a faux gingham using colored slip, and a landscape using colored slips then when bisque fired drawing into with the underglaze pencil for details.

Weeds drawn onto bisque ware while sitting in the field using Amaco Underglaze pencil. 
 

 
 White Iris from my garden.
 Faux gingham made with colored slip.













Colored slips on soft leather hard, bisqued, then drawn on with Amaco Underglaze pencil. 



The tea bowls below were made in an effort to learn how to throw off the hump.  They were inspired by an ad in a little magazine that came in the mail.   I like the combination of Coyote Clays' Gun Metal Green glaze with my concoction I call "Sunday Potter Cinnamon". 


 I like the way the Gun Metal Green runs and combines with my Sunday Potter Cinnamon. They are perfect for yogurt or a bit of ice cream. 
 
 
That's all for now, folks, back to the potter's wheel if I can find time between cleaning the attic and cleaning the kitchen cupboards!
 
ttfn  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment