Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 5, 2011

a la Claytimes magazine, thank you Bill Van Gilder!


This was a good learning experience.   The wall is thrown w/o a bottom, then stretched to the oval form and when soft leather hard, set onto a dampened slab.  I used corrugated cardboard to press the texture into the handle (and rolled the coils of the feet on it too) before applying them.  Learned how to use a dowel to press the ends of the handles and coils of the feet to attach them.




I love this way of making a lid for an organic form.   Put a soft slab into the stiff leatherhard pot, press it downward (as if for a slump mold) and press or roll a rolling pin around the lip to impress it onto the underside of the slab.   Let it stiffen, then trim to fit into the gallery or onto the edge of the pot.  Dry pot and lid together.



I tried this pot twice because the one on the left (my first attempt) is cut too close to the sides I think, making the shape too narrow.   The second time I understood the process better and was able to make it more round.  I love this trick of cutting the half circles out of the wide rim then using the cheese cutter wire to remove the two sides of the rim.  Suddenly there are handles.
ttfn  mec

No comments:

Post a Comment