Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 19, 2011

VOLUNTEER TEAPOT

Sorry if you noticed a delay in my postings…took a tumble and had bruised elbows and a stitch in my arm so couldn’t’ mess in the clay for a week.   Glad you’re back and faithful.  All’s well that ends well.

VOLUNTEER TEAPOT

I set out to make a garlic pot like the one I use which was made by Diana Frank.  As I worked I realized it might be way bigger than I wanted for a garlic pot, so I decided it could be a bean pot.  “Lidded” was the keyword as that was the challenge I’d put forth for myself.


As the throwing spun to an end, the pot had decided to be a teapot.  No plan, no intention on my part.   The clay determined the size and contours and pronounced itself a teapot.  I wonder if this might be an inkling of how a novelist feels when the characters come alive for the author and direct the work.

And so, I was compelled to throw a lid, a spout and make a handle.


The pitfalls:
   As I cut off the pot it was apparent that the bottom was dangerously thin.  I never like it when I can see the wire moving under the clay.  Also, I felt the lid might be too shallow, but it was all the clay I had left so I had to go with it. 
   The handle.  Hmmmm.   You know how I hate to pull handles.   But, my hands took a wad of clay and began to pull a handle as I watched.   I listened to them (my hands) and paid attention to the bulges that needed to be compressed and the straining that seemed to be stretching to the point of breaking, and a handle appeared.   A right fine form if I do say so myself, although my self had nothing to do with it.  Nice job, hands!  As you can see, I left it hanging on the shelf to stiffen up with its fellows.

Conclusions:
     When I returned to attach handle and spout and trim the lid most of my fears came to reality.  
    The handle had fallen from its perch and when I tried to curve it to the side of the pot it snapped in the middle.  Not good to repair a handle for a vessel that will be holding boiling hot liquid.  I have a fantasy that I’ll make a reed handle if the teapot makes it through the firing/glazing.
     The lid was too thin at the bottom (top) and I had to add a hunk to form a grip.  (I also am grateful that a bit of wobble and off centeredness is not so obvious in a stationary form.) 
     The spout, while a bit thick, seemed to work out well, although aesthetically it looks a bit stiff and awkward.   Geez, it looks like it was made by a beginner!!  lol
    The bottom of the body was indeed too thin—I mushed a wad of soft clay and formed a disk.  Slipped and scored, both bottom and disk, and they seemed to strengthen the base.  Only time and the firing (if it gets that far) will tell.
     Here is a picture of the unfinished, unclean teapot.  I think I will attempt to make another handle, it certainly is demanding it.


Much to be done, but I am inspired to try again.  I’m nearly out of clay and will have to make a run to Capitol Clay Arts in Charleston for more. 
I feel the warmth of spring and the outdoors calling me, I hope ceramics doesn’t take a back burner.             

ttfn  mec




1 comment:

  1. Heh, You figured out how to do the comments. Nice pot, BTW!! You are really talented with the clay.

    Cheers, Buck

    ReplyDelete